Kalaban is a top-down action-adventure game by Rayhouse Productions. The game focuses on storytelling and open-ended gameplay.
The year is 1995, in an alternate history version of Finland. Bob, a hermit and an American who has moved to Finland, lives in a backwater cabin by himself. One night he is attacked by a hideous dog-like mutant. Now he must find out what is going on, and discover the reason behind the mutant outbreak.
- Unique story and characters: While the game has a basic premise of mutant invasion, it also features a story with real depth and complexity.
- Top-down action: Combat and exploration are the heart of this game. You kill monsters, gain loot and eat food to heal yourself. We wanted to make the combat fun and approachable.
- Mini-sandbox: After the introduction, the player is let loose on the gameworld. You're given the freedom to explore the setting in a non-linear fashion.
- Dark comedy: The game is presented with a serious tone, but beneath it lies absurd comedy, with strange events and characters.
- Player choice matters: Your actions and choices affect the how the story plays out. The game can be described as an immersive sim from a top-down perspective.
- Hand-crafted world: All the level backgrounds are unique, and the main character is completely hand-animated. We wanted to achieve a high level of polish with the art.
- Back to the 90s: The game is set in the recent past of Finland. The game is littered with tropes and references to the pop culture of the yesteryear. In addition to that, we've taken many influences from older adventure games and DOS titles.
Kalaban was developed by Rayhouse Productions, and its original concept was created by Tuukka Kuusisto and Harri Jokinen.