Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction, exploration and survival in space and on planets. Players build space ships, space stations, planetary outposts of various sizes and uses (civil and military), pilot ships and travel through space to explore planets and gather resources to survive. Featuring both creative and survival modes, there is no limit to what can be built, utilized and explored.
Space Engineers features a realistic, volumetric-based physics engine: everything in the game can be assembled, disassembled, damaged and destroyed. The game can be played either in single or multiplayer modes.
Space Engineers is an Early Access game, which means that it is in development but already in a very playable state and contains a vast amount of new features that have been added since its first release. The game is being improved on a regular basis through updates that add and polish features and content, optimizations and bug fixes.
- Planets and moons – inspired by real celestial objects (Earth, Mars, Alien, Moon, Europa, Titan), fully destructible & persistent, volumetric, atmosphere, gravity, climate zones
- Game modes:
- Creative – unlimited resources, instant building, no death
- Survival – realistic management of resources and inventory capacity; manual building; death and respawn
- Single-player – you are the sole space engineer
- Creative and survival mode with your friends
- Cooperative and competitive
- Privacy customization: offline, private, friends only, public
- Max 16 players (this may increase in the future)
- Weapons on/off
- Copy-paste on/off
- Starting Worlds:
- Earth Easy Start: start on a habitable planet with a set of basic vehicles.
- Mars Easy Start: become a colonist on a barren, inhospitable planet.
- Alien Easy Start: the alien planet is a place with very sparse oxygen, not enough to breath freely. There is hostile fauna and pirates.
- Moon Easy Start: start on a moon orbiting a habitable planet. Your base is under attack by pirates.
- Empty Star System: it is a star system with 3 distinctive planets and their 3 moons. Except for local fauna, planets are uninhabited (no pirate threats)
- Easy Start 1: start on an asteroid platform with one large ship and two small ships
- Easy Start 2: start in a green asteroid station with several large and small ships (this is a large scene!)
- Lone Survivor – start on an abandoned asteroid platform with no ships
- Crashed Red Ship – your mother ship just crashed...
- Two Platforms – competitive two-team multi-player world
- Asteroids – start in a rescue ship with very limited resources
- Empty World – no asteroids, no ships; suitable for creative mode
- AI Enemies, Fauna
- sabiroids also known as "space spiders" can be found on Alien planet type and on Titan type moons. They can destroy metal blocks and attack players.
- pirate bases: can be found either in space or occupying planetary surface.
- enemy drones: they spawn automatically from pirate bases and attack the players trespassing into pirate territory
- Ships (small and large) – build and pilot them
- Planetary bases, outposts, cities, space stations
- Manual building in survival mode – use welder to assemble blocks from components; use grinder to disassemble and reuse components
- Deformable and destructible objects – real proportions, mass, storage capacity, integrity
- Building blocks - light armor (cube, slope, corner), heavy armor, interior wall, interior light, small cockpit, large cockpit, cargo container(s), drill, ore detector, gravity generator, nuclear reactor, thruster, gyroscope, assembler, medical room, magnetic landing gears, spotlight, and many more!
- Magnetic landing gears – attach your small ship on a mother ship
- Electricity– all blocks in a grid are wired in an electrical and computer network; electricity is generated by nuclear reactors
- Gravity – produced by planets and gravity generators
- Rotors – create rotating objects
- Refinery & Assembler – process harvested ore to ingots / manufacture components from ingots
- Symmetry/Mirroring – useful in creative mode when building structures that require symmetry
- Weapons – automatic rifle, small & large explosive warheads, gatling guns, small ship missile launcher
- World management – generate new worlds, “save as” to multiple copies, auto-save every 5 minutes (can be turned on/off), edit world settings
- Steam Workshop – share your creations with the Community (upload and download worlds)
- Modding - world files, shaders, textures, 3D models
- Localized interface (work in progress) – Czech, Danish, Dutch, German, Polish, Spanish-Spain, Spanish-Latin America, French, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese-Brazil, Swedish, Ukrainian, Russian, and more.
Please be sure to read the list of current features before you buy the game. It will give you an insight on what is or isn't actually working: http://www.SpaceEngineersGame.com/features.html
How to Play
Start by watching this video tutorial: http://www.SpaceEngineersGame.com/how-to-play.html
Space Engineers is in development and undergoing frequent optimizations. The performance will get better.
The performance depends on the complexity of your world and the configuration of your computer. Simple worlds run smoothly even on low-end computers, but a more complex world with rich object interactions could overload even high-end computers.
Please read our performance advices: http://www.SpaceEngineersGame.com/performance-advices.html
Minimum requirements represent the bare minimum to run simple scenes and don’t guarantee a perfect experience.
Space Engineers® is a trademark of Keen Software House a. s.