Why Early Access?
“We’ve been working on Fear the Wolves for a relatively long time now, it’s been shaping up great and our team is having a blast playing and testing the current builds of the game on a daily basis. However passionately we would be crafting a game for ourselves though, we’re ultimately building it for the players, so we want them to get involved as soon as it’s technically possible.
We believe it’s crucial, especially when it comes to competitive online games, for the community to have their say about the game, how well and balanced it feels and plays before it’s too late in the production cycle. The Early Access practice has proven to be an effective means for reaching that goal with many developers, so it was no brainer for us there. We want to ensure players have fun with Fear the Wolves and help us create a great and unique Battle Royale experience overall.”
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Fear the Wolves will exit Early Access during 2019. Due to the nature of game development and our intention to integrate as much community feedback as possible, we don’t yet have an exact date to give you. Providing the best possible game is more important to us than locking in an exact schedule now.”
How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“Of course, not every feature on our planned list has been integrated to-date, so you will see more cool and immersive things added in the coming months. For example, an expanded timescale for each match, advanced PVE elements, an innovative new game mode, and a bunch of other features, yet to be revealed. Naturally, we’ll ensure a technically smoother and better performing release version of the game. Last, but not least, throughout the Early Access the community feedback will help us achieve a better balanced and more fun-to-play game.
You can see our current plans for the next update below, as well as the exact state of the current build and what’s still to come before release.”
What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“We are at the stage of the Beta version, i.e. the game is stable and polished enough, but some bugs are still in, as well as some features are still missing.”
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Yes. The price of the game will increase as we add extra content and head towards release.”
How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“We are looking forward to hearing players’ feedback, primarily on the game’s performance, balancing, as well as the gameplay and unique features. There could be different levels of involvement here, starting from bug reporting to participation in polls, forum discussions and more. In return, we will be keeping the players informed on our progress with the game and plans for the coming updates.”
EARLY ACCESS CURRENT CONTENT
- The game: A 100 player battle royale experience that supports solo and squad modes.
- The basics: 20+ guns, 25+ attachments, 15+ armours, air drops, consumables, and much more
- PvE: Wolf packs stalk players and are a deadly threat, while anomalies from the disaster must also be avoided to survive.
- One Map: 25km2 map in the ruins surrounding Chernobyl, with rivers, forests, destroyed towns, hidden army camps, and much more.
- Dynamic, vote-based weather system: The weather of Chernobyl is constantly changing – you’ll face clear days, harsh winds, thunderous storms, and more, all voted for by the players spectating a match.
- Time passes: As a match continues, morning will turn to noon and finally dusk as you make your extraction.
- Vehicles: Dilapidated but functional jeeps dot the landscape of Fear the Wolves, a loud and obvious but speedy way to escape dangerous areas.
- Radiation: Radiation infects the battlefield at random, spreading unevenly, and offering different threats depending on intensity.
- The Extraction: Escape each map in a dramatic finale as you fight the other last players standing to extract via helicopter
- Spectator mode: Dead players can continue to spectate a match, and vote for weather.
COMING IN THE FIRST EARLY ACCESS UPDATE
- Crawling and leaning: New movement options to give you more options in a fight
- Customization: Make your character your own with dozens of cosmetic customization options across seven slots.
- Anomalous Storm: A new weather type that unleashes hell across the battlefield.
- Livestream integration: Weather voting will also be accessible to Twitch and Mixer viewers
- New waiting room: Pre-match experience will be overhauled with a new setting
- In-game voice chat: Talk to your squad and discuss tactics
- A better Chernobyl: The map will be polished with additional tuning of problem areas
- More languages: Localisation will be expanded as we head towards release. We are targeting 16 languages including French, German, Russian, and Chinese.
- New exclusive game mode: A brand new, innovative reimagining of the Battle Royale genre is in development.
- Improved spectator mode: Automated functions and refined UI.
- Match replays: Learn from your mistakes or relive your finest-ever extraction.
- Polished waiting room: New functionality for the pre-game experience.
- More customization items: Cosmetics will continue to be added, letting you create your perfect character, including a progression system with unlockable items.
- New functionality: Backstabbing with machetes, breaking down doors with axes – your weapon choice will have a real effect on the world.
- New vehicle: More ways to cross the map at speed are coming.
- Map polishing: As we receive feedback on the base map, we intend to improve the design, biome diversity, and indoor areas.
- New landmarks: We will also add new buildings, oddities, and other elements to the map.
- Player clans: Group up with friends in and out of matches.
- More weapons and items: New guns, melee weapons, and attachments.
- Night gameplay: Still in a prototype stage, we intend to bring the terror of night to Fear the Wolves
- More mutants: The wolves are not the only creatures to be poisoned by Chernobyl’s radiation.
- A new way to play: New modes and maps are in development, including complete overhauls of the Battle Royale genre.
Fear the Wolves is a competitive Battle Royale FPS by Vostok Games, bringing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. DNA to the brutal 100-player arena. The game drops players, in squads or as lone wolves, into the oppressive environments of a radiation-ravaged Chernobyl spread across a 25km2 map. The classic Battle Royale mode forces them to fight to be the last man standing out of 100 fighters. while another, to-be-unveiled mode brings an exciting twist to the genre.
To secure the top spot, players will need to worry about more than just other survivors. Across the hostile wastes, everyone is threatened by deadly anomalies and the dynamically-changing weather – voted for by players and spectators, both in-game and on streaming platforms. As time wares on and day turns to dusk, survivors must stay on their toes and constantly adapting to new situations.
Protective gear allows players to explore dangerous off-limit radioactive zones inaccessible to less-equipped opponents - but filled with powerful loot. All the while, the howls of mutated creatures echo through the wasteland. Wolves and much worse lay in wait for foolish players who don’t keep their wits about them.
Further breaking the mold of the genre, every game is made truly unique by the irregular and unpredictable spread of deadly radiation, which organically closes in on players with different stages of toxicity, all of which can be battled and avoided in different ways. Safety is rarely certain, and adept players will need to read the environment to determine when it is no longer wise to remain in an area.
Finally, every match ends with a dramatic race to the extraction helicopter, with only one of the handful of survivors able to make it. Will you pick off stragglers from a rooftop until you are the only one alive? Or would you rather make a mad dash for freedom, leaving your pursuers behind and escaping under the cover of night? Each extraction is unique, with the final area layout and your skills deciding the winner. Cosmetic customization options and a deep progression system reward you for your victories and close-calls.
All this, rival players, tight shooting mechanics, and an arsenal of guns, attachments, armour, and melee weapons mean no two matches are the same.
- Brutal FPS battle royale in the irradiated remains of Chernobyl
- 20+ weapons with dozens of attachments, across a wide variety of effective ranges and situations, including melee
- Radiation spreads dynamically from area to area, and can be survived with the right gear
- PvE elements keep each match different, with wolves, mutants, and other hazards a constant danger
- Finish matches in style with the final battle around the extraction helicopter
- More maps and modes to be revealed.
© 2018 Vostok Games, Focus Home Interactive. Fear the Wolves is a game developed by Vostok Games, published by Focus Home Interactive in partnership with Webedia. Fear the Wolves is a registered trademark. All rights reserved.