Enter the ambient world of Osmos: elegant, physics-based gameplay, dreamlike visuals, and a minimalist, electronic soundtrack.
Your objective is to grow by absorbing other motes. Propel yourself by ejecting matter behind you. But be wise: ejecting matter also shrinks you. Relax - good things come to those who wait.
- Independent Games Festival finalist in three categories: Seumas McNally Grand Prize, Excellence in Design and Technical Excellence
- Progress from serenely ambient levels into varied and more challenging worlds. (47 levels, plus bonus content)
- Confront attractors, repulsors and intelligent motes with similar abilities and goals as you
- Selected as one of the 2009 PAX 10
- Procedural content: play random versions of any level
- Sublime electronic soundtrack by Loscil, Gas/High Skies, Julien Neto, Biosphere, and more
- Dynamic time-warping: slow down the flow of time to outmaneuver agile opponents; speed it up to raise the challenge
2008 Finalist in three categories:
Seumas McNally Grand Prize
Excellence in Design
· 8.5/10 - Editor’s Choice Award - “a beautiful, absorbing experience… brilliant to look at… the best videogame music I’ve heard… will make you forget your cares and immerse you in the game… you’ll find yourself returning for the experience.” -IGN
· 4.8/5 - “I believe I’ve run out of adjectives to describe this game. From start to end, it is a fluid mass of gaming goodness… I can say nothing better than go, go now and purchase this game. I think you’ll find that Osmos is truly unlike any gaming experience you’ve ever had.” -Jay is Games
· 9/10 - Editor’s Choice, Game of the Month - “Osmos’ presentation is brilliant… gripping” -GameTunnel
· 91% - “Osmos is an amazing and highly acclaimed game that many people have just never heard of, which is a shame because it is one of the few games to offer a balance between the challenge hardcore gamers want as well as the easy accessibility that casual gamers desire.” -Associated Content
OpenAL is included under the LGPL license. It is available from http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal
FreeType is included under the FTL license. It is available from http://www.freetype.org/
Copyright (c) 2002-2004 Xiph.org Foundation
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the Xiph.org Foundation nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS 'AS IS' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FOUNDATION OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
COPYRIGHT AND PERMISSION NOTICE
Copyright (c) 1996 - 2007, Daniel Stenberg, . All rights reserved.
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED 'AS IS', WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Except as contained in this notice, the name of a copyright holder shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other dealings in this Software without prior written authorization of the copyright holder.