- Large maps complete with neutral settlements and camps that present a threat to all players.
- Player controlled heroes that command armies of up to 50 units on their own, providing them with an additional bonus in battle.
- Settlements have their own resources they can spend locally or transport elsewhere.
- Rituals performed in places of ancient worship that effect the entire world.
- Military units have the ability to capture resource caravans, outposts and even entire cities and settlements.
- Ships and shipyards providing for sea battles or transport of armies and resources from one shore to another.
- Upgrades that increase the might of your armies and the power of your settlements.
- A vast array of items that bring specific bonuses to the unit carrying them.
- A number of special abilities that give different advantages to the various units.
- Integration of character development and major battles.
- A single-player campaign featuring the campaign of Hannibal Barca (Sagunto battle, the crossing of the Alps, Cannas battle).
- A single-player campaign featuring the development of the Roman Republic during the Punic wars (the invasion of Sicily, the conquest of Hispania, the destruction of Carthage).
- Four sides to play with – Roman, Gaul, Carthaginian and Iberians, complete with their own historical buildings and units.
- LAN and Internet games with up to 8 players.
- GameSpy Arcade support.
- Random map generation.
- In-game scenario/adventure editor.
- Off-line ranking system.